Before Daniel and I had kids, we had this.
That is a picture of Jenny and Gracie- our fur babies! We got Jenny in 2005, soon after we got engaged, and added Gracie to the family a year and a half later. These girls have been great pets and so patient with us as we kept adding other little people to our family.
On April 26th, Kroger is celebrating Kroger National Kids and Pet Day and its family of stores are celebrating by sharing fantastic information about pet safety, selecting the right pet for your family, and making sure your family’s animal friends are taken care of. Everyone I know considers their "fur babies" to be as much a part of their family as anyone else, and we all want them to be happy and taken care of!
Here's some information that I was sent to pass on to you about pet care!
- Overview of Kroger’s pet insurance offerings:
- Offered through PetFirst, Kroger pet insurance policies cover routine care and medical procedures for dogs and cats, and is available at more than 2,400 stores in the Kroger family including City Market, Dillon’s, Fred Meyer, Frye’s, King Sooper, Owen’s, Pay Less, QFC, Ralph’s and Smith’s. In addition to being available in-store, Kroger’s pet insurance can be purchased online at http://www.krogerpersonalfinance.com/pet-insurance/. Kroger’s pet insurance works at any veterinarian nationwide, with reimbursement typically occurring within two weeks. Coverage starts as low as $9.95 per month and right now, individuals who purchase online can save $10.
- Family Friendly breeds:
- Cocker Spaniel – These lap dogs are sensitive and sweet and enjoy the attention of children. Cocker Spaniels are obedient with training and friendly around people.
- Pug – This affectionate breed loves being part of a family. Outgoing and mischievous, they make playful companions for children.
- Golden Retriever – Similar to Labs in personality, Goldens are mild mannered and enjoy being around families and other people. These dogs are easy to train are gentle with children.
- Basset Hound – This breed is good with children of all ages. They are known for their docile nature and gentleness. Their long backs need to be supported when they are picked up, and an eager child can accidentally injure them.
- Tips parents can teach their children regarding safe pet play:
- Teach your children to pet softy, stay away from food dishes, toys and bones, and not to startle your dog or cat when it is sleeping.
- Keep babies and toddlers at a level higher than your dog. Dogs perceive height as representative of their hierarchy. Keep your children off the floor when the dog is in the room.
- Don’t give your dog toys that resemble your children’s toys or clothing. Stay away from fabric stuffed dog toys that resemble your child’s stuffed animals.
- Involve your child in your dog’s care. Even just the presence of your child in the same room while your dog is receiving his favorite things or activities can help build a positive association to children.
- For more information on family friendly breeds or additional tips on teaching your children about pet safety, visit Kroger’s Pet Health blog.
In order to help you take care of your pet, I have a $20 Kroger gift card (valid at any of the Kroger family stores) to give to one of you! US mailing addresses only, please.
Mandatory entry (must be done first for extra entries to count):
Let me know about a special pet in your life, past or present!
1. Follow my blog with Google Friend Connect
2. Put my button up on your blog- let me know where to find it!
3. Follow me on Twitter and tweet "@gabreviews is giving away a $20 Kroger gift card! http://bit.ly/cJMSvq #giveaway"
You can tweet this once per day. Leave a separate comment every time you enter and please let me know what your twitter name is.
4. For 5 extra entries, blog about this giveaway with a link back to this post. Please leave 5 separate comments and let me know where I can find your post!
5. Enter any of my other giveaways (one extra entry per giveaway entered, leave a separate comment for each)
6. Enter any of the giveaways currently going on at LuvnLife (one extra entry per giveaway entered, leave a separate comment for each).
7. Follow me with Networked Blogs! Link over on the right side of this page.
Giveaway will close at 9 PM Pacific time on May 5, 2010. I'll choose winners with random.org and will email those people who will have 48 hours to respond. Good luck!
For helping raise awareness of National Kids & Pet Day I was provided with a $20 gift card to spoil Jenny and Gracie, and a $20 gift card to giveaway to a reader so that they could do the same by the Global Influence Network and the Kroger Co. The thoughts and opinions here are my own.