We had a few days of gorgeous summer weather last week, and that catapulted me into thinking that it's summer. Whether it really is or not. :) Summer means a lot of things to me, but one of the things that ranks high on my "it's really summer" list is having a delicious dinner of foods that we grill out on the barbeque. I love grilling out, for the taste and because my husband usually does the work and I get a night off. Win-win! Anyway, all that to say that, when I was selected to be a part of the Ziploc/Robin Miller Summer Grilling Review & Giveaway Campaign, it was happy news!
To help us all celebrate summer and embrace outdoor living, Ziploc Brand and Food Network's Robin Miller have teamed up on some money- and time-saving ideas.
Here are some of the tips!
In addition to these great tips, I also received a couple of recipes to try out. We decided to start with the Beef Kebabs with Three Dips. Recipe here:Whether prepping tasty meals for the grill, offering creative treats for guests, or packing on-the-go snacks, these time-saving and budget-friendly tips from Miller offer quick and hassle-free storage solutions to make summer entertaining a breeze:
· Marinate It — To get the juicy, grilled flavors families love, don’t forget to marinate before cooking, which tenderizes meat, fish and poultry while adding great flavor. Skip messy bowls and additional clean-up by using Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags to marinate chicken, pork, beef and fish. Meat and poultry can marinate up to 24 hours, so when you’re ready to grill, simply take the bags from the refrigerator straight to the outdoor grill. A delicious dinner will be ready in minutes!
· Dip It — For a fun spin on outdoor entertaining, create a dipping station so guests can put their personal twist on grilled favorites. Get creative by making several unique dips and serve them with grilled staples like fish, vegetables or meat. Try Miller’s grilled beef kebab recipe with three complimentary dips: chipotle-lime mayo, wasabi soy sauce and roasted red pepper. To offer your guests even more variety, try making the kebabs with beef, chicken, shrimp or portobello mushrooms.
· Prep It, Store It, Take It — Prep ahead for barbeques or block parties and make your side dishes and desserts days in advance. Seal in freshness by storing treats in Ziploc® Brand Containers with the Smart Snap™ Seal, which can go from the refrigerator to the cooler to the party with ease. Serve crowd-pleasing savory options like Miller’s spiral pasta with pesto, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts or homemade dips served with chips and pita wedges or sweets like cookies, brownies and bars.
· Cool It — With a little planning, the whole family can enjoy nutritious foods throughout the day while enjoying outdoor activities. Before heading out to campgrounds, the beach or the park, pack your cooler with fresh treats for the family. Make cooler space count by organizing like-items together, such as sandwiches on the left and fruits and veggies on the right to maximize space and make finding treats a snap. Finally, add in sunscreen and a spray bottle filled with water. They’ll feel refreshing to the skin and keep the whole family sunburn free and feeling cool on a warm day.
· Pack It — For no-fuss, budget-friendly outdoor meals and snacks, try packing a picnic for the family instead of purchasing expensive theme-park meals. Make cleaning up a cinch by storing tableware, tongs and serving spoons in Ziploc® Brand Slider Storage and Freezer Bags with the Smart Zip™ Seal for easy access. Prepare for any spills or mishaps by pre-moistening paper towels and storing them in Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags. Reserve the bags to bring the dirty items home so you can pop them straight into the sink or dishwasher.
For more grilling recipes and tips from Robin Miller on how to make the most out of summer meals and activities this season, visit www.Facebook.com/Ziploc. Join the Ziploc Facebook community and share your resourceful summer entertaining tips.
About Ziploc® Brand Bags and ContainersZiploc® Brand Bags and Containers provide smart, quality solutions that help moms get more out of the things they do every day for their families. Ziploc® Brand celebrates the magnificent moments of mom, her expertise and brilliant ideas that keep households running smoothly, by offering food and home storage solutions. Ziploc® Brand products are available in grocery, mass merchandise and drug stores nationwide.
Beef Kebabs with Three DipsServing Size:· 4
Ingredients:· Cooking spray· 1 1/4 pound lean steak, such as London broil or sirloin (cut into 2-inch pieces)· 24 cherry tomatoes· 1 yellow onion (cut into 2-inch pieces)
Directions:1. Coat an outdoor grill, stovetop grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.2. Alternate steak pieces, cherry tomatoes and onion onto metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 5 minutes before using to prevent burning).3. Season the steak, tomatoes and onion pieces all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper.4. Place the kebabs on the hot grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare to medium, turning frequently.5. Serve with any or all of the following dips:
Ingredients:· 1/3 cup of light mayonnaise· 1/2 lime, juice and zest· 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro· 1 teaspoon smoked chili powder, such as chipotle powder
Directions:1. Combine all ingredients into a small bowl2. Mix all ingredients well.3. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Wasabi Soy Sauce
Ingredients:· 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce· 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste· 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions:1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.2. Mix all ingredients well.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Ingredients:· 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers from water-packed jar· 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or basil-flavored olive oil· 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning· 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
Directions:1. Combine all ingredients but the basil in a blender and puree until smooth.2. Fold in basil if desired.3. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Tip: For a fun spin on outdoor entertaining, create a dipping station with Ziploc® Brand VersaGlass Containers so guests can put add their personal twist to grilled favorites.
|Pretty, simple, and delicious!|
I also received this yummy-looking pasta salad recipe. I'll be making this one for my next potluck.
To help me with my summer organizing and cooking, I received a nice package of four Ziploc products, the fabulous new Ziploc quart-sized slider bags with expandable bottom (in freezer and storage versions), and the Ziploc gallon-sized double zipper bags (in storage and freezer versions). As with every Ziploc product I've ever used, these are great, and so handy for storing and preparing food. I especially love the bags with expandable bottoms- what a great feature!Spiral Pasta with Pesto, Sundried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts
Serving Size:· 4
Ingredients:· 1/4 cup pine nuts· 1 pound rotelle pasta, or any spiral-shaped pasta· 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto· 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed· 1 cup finely chopped oil-packed sundried tomatoes· 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions:1. Place the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet and set pan over medium heat.2. Cook for three to five minutes, until the nuts are golden brown, shaking the pan frequently. Once done, set aside.3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and then drain and transfer to a large bowl.4. Fold in the pesto and stir to coat the pasta.5. Fold in the peas and sundried tomatoes.6. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.7. Top the pasta with the toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Tip: To make this a complete meal, top the dish with grilled chicken strips or grilled shrimp. You can make this dish up to 48 hours in advance and refrigerate in Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags until you’re ready to serve. (Do not freeze pasta.)
I have good news, one of you will win the same Ziploc products that I received, to get you ready for your summer cooking and food storage! Open to US mailing addresses only, please.
Mandatory entry (must be done for extra entries to count):
Let me know who you want to win this for
Extra entries (please leave a separate comment for each one that you do):
1. Follow me publicly with Google Friend Connect
2. "Like" me on Facebook (Let me know your first name and last initial on Facebook)
3. Follow me on Twitter and tweet this: @gabreviews is giving away a Ziploc prize pack! Visit http://bit.ly/lxVHnr to enter. #giveaway
You can tweet this once per day- just leave a separate comment with link each time that you tweet.
4. "Like" the Ziploc Facebook page (Let me know your first name and last initial on Facebook)
5. Enter any of my other currently ongoing giveaways- leave a separate comment for each one that you enter!
6. Put my button (code on the right side of this page) up on your blog and let me know where I can find it!
Giveaway will close at 9 PM on June 7, 2011. I'll choose a winner with random.org and will email that person who will then have 48 hours to respond. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received the recipes and Ziploc products discussed above to try for myself, thanks to Ziploc and the Family Review Network. I was not compensated in any other way and all opinions posted here are mine and mine alone.